Friday, October 24, 2014

Easy peasy bruschetta

Okay, let's talk bruschetta!
I haven't been to Italy, but I do appreciate some fresh, delicious bruschetta.
So it may not be hyper-authentic (because I don't know the difference)
but I posted a picture on instagram of some bruschetta I whipped up this week
and had a few requests for the "recipe" ha!


First of all, what is bruschetta?

bru·schet·ta
bro͞oˈskedə/
noun
  1. toasted Italian bread drenched in olive oil and served typically with garlic or tomatoes.

There you go!

So here's my recipe.

Easy Peasy Five-Ingredient Bruschetta:
Tomatoes - as many as you think you can eat. Chopped into small pieces.
*If I'm just eating bruschetta for lunch, I'll use two medium/large romas, but I can't wait until my cherry tomatoes are ready from the garden!
Mozzarella Cheese - also cut into small pieces. No measurement for this, it just depends how much cheese you like! I do about 2/3 tomatoes to 1/3 mozzarella.  I found a round, squishy hunk of this at the grocery store in the fancy cheese section. I'm also hoping to learn to make mozzarella soon from scratch!
Basil - once again... no measurement (sorry, you're dealing with a rogue chef here). I bought this at the grocery store and for a serving for just myself, I used probably three basil leaves ripped into tiny pieces. Some people like a lot of basil, but I am not one of them. I just like enough to make it taste fresh and fancy!
Bread - Okay, I'm not a fan of the really hard crouton things people put bruschetta on.. they are so difficult to eat and they hurt the top of my mouth! So if you're like me, just buy a loaf of pretty bread (any kind, really) from the grocery store, slice and lightly toast it if you're eating immediately and want it warm. I used a garlic flavored sourdough bread and it was great! Garlic bread also avoids having to rub garlic on the bread (authentic bruschetta usually has this) that can (and will) give you offensive breath. Beware.
Balsamic Glaze - This, friends, is the secret ingredient! Our pal who owns Sauce here in Mesa tipped us off that this is one of Sauce's favorite ingredients. It's shipped in from Italy, and boy is it delicious on bruschetta! I drizzle this on top of the bruschetta, or I just add about 2 teaspoons to the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil combination before putting it on the bread.

*Order this glaze here

Combine the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and glaze, scoop onto the bread,
and there you go!
Seriously so good and so fresh.
*pesto lovers can also spread pesto on the bread before adding the mixture

There are plenty of more intense ways to make bruschetta that involve a few more ingredients like garlic, onions, and olive oil, but this recipe works great for me!

And in case you're wondering where my all-time favorite bruschetta comes from...
once again...
SAUCE.


It will change your life.
Definitely more oily than mine, but that's probably why it's so delicious!

And one final thought,
I think bruschetta should be made into more of a taco shape because even on soft bread,
it's so hard to keep the tomatoes and mozzarella from running away from you!
Please say I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Happy cooking/eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment