Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Damsels: look out your windows

This could be you

I spent some time looking out my window (more on that later) tonight.  This isn't something I usually do, but now that I have a web log, it's imperative that I create "contemplative" time to reflect on the world.  Plus, it seemed like an appropriate 17th century activity.

I was extremely hot in my matching plaid pajama set (no, I won't be sharing more on that later) so I opened up my window, and to my surprise, there wasn't even a protective screen on it!  I could have slid my legs over and tumbled down the air to my earthly end.  I didn't, obviously.  But maybe I should have so I wouldn't be writing this ridiculous web log post.

While I sat there with the cold air dancing around me, I had a flashback to childhood.  

What happened?  When did I suddenly become a 20-year-old girl with a major, a job, and roommates?  Also, who ever thought they would say the word "landlord" in this life?  Not me.  I thought that was just for people who lived in the Bronx.  So now that having a landlord is part of my reality, here is one more reality I've picked up along the way.

Talk to strangers, they like it.

Talking to strangers is a little bit like looking through a window.  But sometimes we're so wrapped up in what we're doing we forget that there are billions of other people around us who are walking around just outside our windows looking for someone to talk to.  And sometimes we think that everyone is looking through our window when really, no one is looking through it at all.

Or we can be like the woman who was convinced her neighbor was hanging dirty laundry, only to find out that it was her own window that was dirty all along.
Maybe it's time we cleaned off our windows and actually looked through them at the people around us.  From experience (and plenty more experience to come), it's changed the way I think.


It's true.  If you don't believe me, try it for yourself.  Talk to three people you don't know and see how much better your day goes.  You'll be a happier damsel, I promise.  And hey, you might even meet a respectable fellow.






2 comments:

  1. Methinks thou giveth excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prescient advice, Big Al. I shall greet three people at my town hall in Sierra Vista.

    ReplyDelete