Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Meet Cute

Meet cute: scenario in which two individuals are brought together in a zany, crazy, destined-to-fall-in-love-together-forever sort of way



I'm a romantic.  Blame it on the media, blame it on my nature, or blame it on those meet-cute myths us girls find ourselves talking about late at night.  Some people have extraterrestrial meet-cutes, like...

meeting at a polo match
on a ride at Disneyland
or while raking leaves
But a healthy part of the time, couples meet in the typical places: class, single's wards, baby friends.  And you know what?  I think that's just great.  No matter where you meet, your chances of happiness are probably about the same.  But for fun, let's take a stroll down 90s (and a little beyond) romantic comedy meet-cute memory lane.

You've Got Mail - 1998 
Sleepless in Seattle - 1993
While You Were Sleeping - 1995
The Wedding Planner - 2001
How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days - 2003
I'm not a serious movie critic, but these really tug on my heartstrings.  Plus, the filming is simple and the story lines are relatively clean.  Those were the days!


So, what I'm trying to say is that us girls should reevaluate those romantic ideals we can't bear to budge on.  Just because you didn't meet him carrying strangers groceries to their cars, in a garden reading a classic novel, or rafting down the Amazon doesn't mean he isn't worthwhile.  He probably does all those things too... just not while you're watching.



2 comments:

  1. Confession: I did my grocery shopping at 10 last night because I knew Smith's would be empty. And all I could think was, "This would be the PERFECT opening scene of my movie." hahaha good post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I was going to put a grocery store scene in there, now I wish I would have!

    ReplyDelete