Monday, August 13, 2012

Let us be morning people

Are you a morning person?



...or a night person?

Think about it. Now take it back. Take back whatever you just labeled yourself as. From now on, you are a morning person, an afternoon person, and a night person. Look at you go!

From my extensive internet research and real-life experience, most people are not "morning people."

In fact, Gallup says that only 19% of young adults are this rare breed.

But whether it's natural or a learned habit, damsels are morning people.

And you can be one too. You are a damsel (or dame), you know.

And guess what. Morning people are generally happier people! Why? Because society's expectations gel much better with a morning person's schedule than an evening person's. Too often we go through the week unhappy that we have to wake up earlier than we want to. I must admit, it is a challenge to balance a social life with an early rising lifestyle, but it's possible. Stay out if  what you're doing is really worthwhile; turn in if it's not.

I've been trying to get back on a more regular morning schedule now that fall semester is just around the corner, and here are some tips I've found to be quite helpful!

Secret #1: Get out of bed when you FIRST wake up in the morning.
It really is that simple. I've been trying this lately instead of thinking, "Oh phew, I still have 15 more minutes until my alarm" or "I have the whole day ahead of me and I want to spend it in bed!" Yucky! Don't do that, you will feel terrible about yourself and you will be 1,000 times less productive.


Secret #2: Make your alarm your ringtone.
I quickly develop aversions to alarms, but I discovered that keeping my alarm the same as my ringtone (Natalie Cole's "This Will Be" really gets me going) stops this from happening. It's like the day ahead is calling to say good morning.


Secret #3: Think of something you are excited for that day while you're metamorphicizing between sleep and wakefulness.
This can be as simple as delicious smelling shampoo in the shower, a cute outfit you picked out the night before, or a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart for breakfast. Score!
Do remember, however, that there will be some days that are not as fun to wake up for. Like the dentist appointment I have tomorrow morning. No matter what you're doing though, go into it with a good attitude and the day will be yours!

Secret #4: Go to bed before midnight.
Yep. Just try it. Even if you wake up at 6:30 chances are you still got seven hours of sleep! And seven to eight hours is all you need. Beauty rest does have a time limit.

Secret #5: Follow a nightly routine that makes you feel pretty in the morning.
This is different for everyone, but mine always involves washing my face, brushing and flossing my teeth, and using night cream on my face! My new favorite is Burt's Bee's Radiance Night Cream. Smells like heaven and makes your face feel (and look) delicious!


Also, cute pajamas help me in this effort.



And maybe someday a canopy bed like this!



Now, to solidify these habits in myself. Happy trails, and happy mornings to you!





1 comment: