Sunday, February 8, 2015

Why I love Valentine's Day


I love Valentine's Day.
Everything about it!
I always have.

When I was a little girl, I would get so excited to pick out valentines for each of my classmates.
I would look through the store-bought pack of Clifford valentines
(my favorite because I could put a stick of Big Red gum inside and it was the only day of the year the teacher wouldn't care!)
and hand pick which one fit each classmate and friend.

When I was a teenager, my parents would give each of the five kids their favorite treat
(usually a giant Reese's heart)
and write a card letting each child know what they loved and admired about them.

When I got to college, Valentine's Day got a bit more tricky.
Freshman year, a guy I had just started going out with took me to a really fancy restaurant.
Sophomore year, I was single and probably spent it hanging out with girlfriends.
Junior year, I came home to a plethora of perfume samples from a guy who had high hopes of being someone's valentine.
Senior year, I had Jason, but we had no reservation, so we built a fort and attempted to roast heart-shaped s'mores over a candle and ended up eating sweet potato fries at Guru's.

Honestly, the most romantic moments of my life probably haven't happened on Valentine's Day.
But to me, Valentine's Day is an extra reminder to show anyone I love that I am thinking about them and am grateful to have them in my life.
That's why I love Valentine's Day!

This Valentine's Day I'll be taking a little trip with Jason.
And I can't wait to shower him with extra love and appreciation.


"There is no love; there are only proofs of love."
Pierre Reverdy

Happy Valentine's Week!

xoxo

P.S. This week I'm going to write a few short posts on things I've learned through dating, engagement and marriage that I hope to pass on to my children some day. I hope you like them!



2 comments: